- What is a thesis statement?
- It' the single, specific claim that your essay supports.
- It includes a topic, a precise opinion and reasoning.
- Parts of a thesis statement.
Both videos state that a thesis statement should include three pieces of information.
- The subject: the topic of your essay.
- The precise opinion: the opinion of your essay.
- The blueprint of reasons: where you show your reader how you plan to argue and prove your opinion.
- The thesis statement tells your reader:
- where you are going in your essay.
- how you plan in getting there.
- When you are composing Thesis Statements, you need to know the following:
- Your topic: what your paper will deal with.
- Your claim: what you think about the topic.
- Reasons that support your claim: 3 points: a) Points at the beginning of the thesis statement. b) Points at the end of the thesis statement. c) Points listed in the sentences after the thesis statement. (You can also have a thesis with no points listed.)